It’s a question we always ask: What are exactly school’s responsibilities? where do they begin, and where do they end?
This is especially relevant when considering where to draw the line between what constitutes parents’ responsibilities and a school’s.
A Portuguese school decided to clarify the matter once and for all, by sticking a poster in its halls- and the message they’re sending is now spreading like wildfire.
The school’s sign was later shared on Facebook, where the message contained within it quickly began to spread around the world.
The simple but effective messager highlights five key points which the school is determined should be managed by the parents, as follows:
What do you think?
- We would like to remind you that magic words such as hello, please, you’re welcome, I’m sorry, and thank you, all begin to be learned at home
- It’s also at home that children learn to be honest, to be on time, diligent, show friends their sympathy, as well as show utmost respect for their elders and all teachers.
- Home is where they learn to be clean, not talk with their mouths full, and how/where to properly dispose of garbage.
- Home is also where they learn to be organized, to take good care of their belongings, and that it’s not ok to touch others.
- Here at school, on the other hand, we teach language, math, history, geography, physics, sciences, and physical education. We only reinforce the education that children receive at home from their parents.